I, Tyranny

It must've been dozens of years ago that I first sat in this office. Back then, I envisioned myself as the savior of my country. Someone who would cure the rampant poverty, crime, and corruption that plagued the country. 

             Now, I want people to grovel at my feet.

             For the decades that I have invested as President of this country, I have known the feeling of complete dominance. The government, the people, their hard work, it all belongs to me. They are all within the palm of my hands. 

             I get up from my chair and look out the window to the people below me. Some people are gathering in front of the Presidential Office The building, looking like a bunch of thugs trying to scavenge leftovers. Their stares pierce straight through the window with eyes filled with anger and vengeance. 

            

“Mr. President, regarding the election,” Jace, one of my longest-lasting executives, has been dealing with the organization of the election. With only a few days left until voting, the Presidential Office has been very hectic.

“I assume everything is working out as planned? Just how it would be, as the previous elections.” Of course, nobody would be able to win any election with me in the office. With my absolute rule against everyone, everything is set up how I would need it to be.

“Yes, everything is going according to plan. If everything goes smoothly on the day, it will be another assured victory for you, sir.”

“Good. Send my regards to the unlucky mongrel that’s running against me.”

“As you wish, sir.”

 

The day of the elections came and went. It was the usual ordeal and I expected the usual results. It was not until the dead of noon that something out of the ordinary occurred. I felt like elephants were trampling over my courtyard. Confused, Jace and I look out the window to see hordes of protestors and activists in front of the building. All of them were holding signs, with my rival candidate on it.  “Your reign is over now, old man!” A man with a megaphone exclaimed from the crowd. 

 

My rule? Over? What could these bastards be talking about? My authority will never falter for as long as I am breathing. Furious at this defamation, I lashed out at Jace.

“Jace! What is the meaning of this?! Why are the people speaking such courageous claims?”

Before finally answering me, Jace spent a while anxiously fiddling with his smartphone. “Forgive me sir, but it has been public that the one who had been elected,” Jace paused, “was not you.”

I had never heard such blasphemy in all my years. I couldn’t keep the anger I felt inside me anymore. “How did we manage to lose? We bribed and rigged the election, yet you’re trying to say that I lost? Look at all these jolly little scrunts dancing around in front of MY presidential building.”

Jace couldn’t hide the painful expression on his face anymore. He realized that unless this is fixed, it will negatively impact his life as well. In the end, there was only one thing that could be done.

“Jace, gather up everyone here, make some phone calls. We’re going to do damage control and I expect nothing short of it.”

 

The days following that were quick and concise. The homes and fields of those who were rioting in front of the presidential building were burnt discretely and without a trace. After that, I had the election votes “recounted” and “reexamined” to my liking. The results of the recounting show that I am back to being the ruler of this country. No one dared to step remotely near the presidential building after that day.

I belong as this nation’s lifelong tyrant. 


Comments